Friday, April 13, 2007

How to buy a scalped ticket +buffalo sabres game reaction

by Steve

My goal was to get into the Buffalo Sabres 2007 playoff home opener. I had $50 I was willing to spend on a ticket and no plan. I got dropped off about 7:30 (save on parking), faceoff was 8:08, and met up with a friend to drink before the game. Everyone thought I was nuts, oh $50 for a ticket, no way, they are on ebay for $300+. I was less than confident myself, at best get into the game mid way through the first period. Boy was I wrong.

First off I hear walking down Washington towards the bank arena was for a ticket "4 rows from the glass" so I asked how much, he says $100. I tell him all I have is $50, and he immediately goes down to $70 and i keep walking although that seemed like a righteous deal.

Walking around 30 minutes before the game typically is a mad house with crazy traffic but today was different, there was no one around, little traffic, and all I could hear in the distance was "tickets, who needs tickets, you buying, you sellin'" I guess everyone was at the 'party in the plaza' even though it was 35 and raining.

Getting closer to game time I was starting to become a bit nervous about attaining a ducat for the game. Then I meet some other dude looking for a single ticket as well. He said he was only willing to spend $20 and said he got into game 6 vs. Carolina in the Eastern Conference finals 6 minutes into the game for $20. This guy was a pro so I figured I would stick near him.

Next thing we know some dude who looked a bit ragged and maybe stoned comes up to us and asks how much we're willing to spend, he says $20 I say $40 just to low ball him. And I keep walking thinking nothing of it. Not even 30 seconds later He puts his arm around me and says you're goin to the game lets go. So without even handing the guy money yet I'm in the arena and the tickets are scanned. I suggested paying him outside and he said no. We starting talking about the tickets and he says they are section 123 row 12, these aren't nose bleeders. I was shocked. I hand him the $40 and he says we gotta get some beers. So he buys himself and me a beer and we get to our seats. (He later said he was outside for over 2 hours trying to peddle 3 tickets and was cold and sick of standing in the rain. Maybe I just got lucky maybe)

We are sitting 12 rows up directly behind the net where the Sabres shoot in the second period. This was the first time I sat in the 100 section in maybe a decade and forgot the seats were padded, it was ballerish.

Thoughts from the game:
  • Miller played solid. I won't blame him for the two on one goal.
  • Vanek and Afingenov lived down to their playoff hype. Can we say Datsyuk.
  • Briere had some give aways that seemed uncharacteristic.
  • Drury and Zubrus together is a solid line.
  • The Sabres defense played outstanding.
  • I didn't get a free shirt, someone sharked it. And what was the souvenir?
  • The video before the game was overhyped but still kinda neat.
Hot
Drury
Zubrus
Brian Cambell

Cold
Afingenov
Briere
Spacek

Tips to scalping:
  • Always low ball any offer.
  • Walk away as quick as possible and check their reaction.
  • Have your money in a separate pocket so they don't know exactly how much money you really have.
  • Worst comes to worst wait till the game started
  • A single ticket is always going to be a lot cheaper
  • Never look anxious or over zealous.
  • Make them make the first offer to see what their ceiling is.
  • Always analyze the tickets before the exchange of cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment