Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Shawn Nelson suspension

by Steve

When word first came out about Shawn Nelson's suspension I figured "smoke weed every day" and that marijuana was at least as important to Nelson's life as professional football is. Per TBN calculations Nelson was scheduled to make $395,000 in salary this season. The suspension will cost him $92,941.

Damn that is a chunk of change. Perhaps even the most expensive weed ever. Then we get the statement Nelson made while finally answering to the media:

"On behalf of my team, my family, my church family, the great city of Buffalo and my fans, I want to say I apologize. It's not nothing bad, nothing illegal that happened. There's rumors that it was dealing with some different type of things that myself was not involved in. I'm not that guy. I'm a guy of character, a guy who works hard. I'll be suspended the first four games of the season. I'll be back on Oct. 4. I'm excited about getting back with my team and working out with my team. I spoke with some of my teammates earlier today and told them what was really going on. I spoke to my coaches and my GM. We're all on the same page. We have the same plan down. I'll be working out with Tom Shaw in Orlando getting ready for the rest of the season."
The triple negative is a bit impossible to decipher but it sounds like it wasn't marijuana. I think.. maybe.. I don't know. He claims to be a man of character although I swear I saw him smokin somethin at Marshawn's house last year on one of those webcasts.

There have been numerous reports that Nelson hasn't even been playing well in training camp. Who knows how much the Bills will miss him, but one has to think this will stunt his growth even further. This suspension will however be a boon to Michael Matthews and his career I know that.

Hopefully more information comes out about the suspension although I doubt it since few people really know who Nelson is. Until we know for sure I'm still leaning towards weed being the culprit but he might deserve the benefit of the doubt until more comes out.

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't he behind Stupar on the depth chart. He'll be a career backup at best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article on Jake Locker in Men's Health this weekend. If we don't draft him with the #1 overall pick next year then I think I'm done with this team

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha stfu rash, he'll be brohm and fizzle when the light is on him. i'm not listening to anything about any qb until after the season

    -steve

    ReplyDelete