Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Delving into Ralph Wilson's comments

by Steve

Going 0-5 is depressing enough, lump onto that the idea of the Bills leaving Buffalo and borderline suicidal thoughts creep into heads (ya know, relatively speaking). Who ever this John Wawrow guy speculated after his chat with the Bills Chief about the Bills future in WNY:

"From what I've heard in the background, and seen happening - without saying anything definitively, because I can't, because no one's actually told me anything - I have a better feeling that this team might be here longer, beyond Ralph Wilson, for a long time," Wawrow said. "I can't say that with certainty, but I get the sense there's work going on in the background that will make the transition easier. I can't really get into specifics, because I can't pin down the facts."

"I'm not saying this is a guarantee," Wawrow continued. "I'm probably at maybe 65-70, 30-35 in thinking the Bills are staying here."

Wawrow believes that there are several factors working in Buffalo's favor that could lead to an ownership succession plan.

"Given the fact that Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame, and built a legacy on voting against relocation, and the fact that I know the NFL wants a market in this region - and I'm speaking to the Toronto/Buffalo corridor - I can't foresee a team moving out of this region just because it's so valuable as far as its proximity goes," Wawrow said. "I think the history is also there with the number of people from the Bills organization who are in Canton."

Great, more non-info information. Ralph, jeez, just tell us you have a plan beyond your time on Earth.

10 comments:

  1. The more I think about this, the more I don't think the Bills are leaving. First of all, Ralph devoted his entire life to this franchise. There is no way he is going to die without some sort of plan to keep what he built in tact. Yeah, a new owner can do whatever he wants, but you have to believe Ralph is going to try and have some sort of plan in place.

    Secondly, it is hard to move an NFL franchise in general. If the Bills move, it is likely they will move to the west coast. I can't think of an east coast city (Toronoto is NOT getting an NFL franchise moved there) that is suited for an NFL franchise. If the team moves to LA, for example, the whole league would have to restructure. Also, LA has had two NFL teams that have left. LA doesn't want an NFL team.

    Third, Roger Goodell is from WNY. He's got to want a team in this area.

    Fourth, you don't develop a following and a fan base for a team overnight. The Bills have a very loyal fan base that has developed over 50 years. There are millions of Bills fans in the country.

    Fifth, if they do move the team, people will riot and people will get hurt/killed. That would make the NFL look bad.

    -Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy Jacobs is the Bills best chance. I'm sure their are other potential buyers but without a plan of succession and the team going up for auction Buffalo could get f'd over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But seriously, what are your thoughts on Brett Favre's dong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is Andrej Sekera still a Buffalo Sabres is my question?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It could be one and done for Chan Gailey in Buffalo," PFT reports.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be another Cam Cameron situation. Remember in the postseason when the Bills had a different swagger to them and we thought they were going to own? They weren't equipped to play the 3-4 in the first place, and now they're going to try to transition back to the 4-3 midseason. "Ineptitude at the highest level" as Janis said in last season's podcast.

    This season is a wash. I can't wait for Jim Rome to break down the 0-16 2010-2011 Buffalo Bills. Our best hope is we're smart enough to draft Luck and that there isn't a lockout. Lee Evans should restructure his contract such that they can get some playmakers a la Tom Brady. Every reception is more than my yearly salary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/the-week-five-hot-seat/


    It's a video and they speak of Gailey last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dial it back a bit rash

    -steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://tinyurl.com/25l7ewo

    Neumann also asked Kelly about his intentions to be part of a group that might succeed Ralph Wilson as Bills owner:
    "It's in limbo, because Mr. Wilson is still the owner of the Bills. He's still alive and kicking, thank God. He's a guy who's had that franchise for over 50 years, and he's had people come to him wanting to buy it and move it somewhere else. But he's been loyal to Western New York, and if that day comes when he decides, 'It's time for me to relinquish the ownership,' then I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in Western New York because I do not entertain any offers from anybody looking to move the Buffalo Bills from Western New York. I just won't do it. I'll do whatever it takes to keep them in Buffalo."

    ReplyDelete