Monday, November 17, 2008

Coast Signing Off

Wide Right Part II

I am taking this opportunity to formally announce my resignation as a Bills fan. I hate that it had to come to this, but at a certain point tonight I realized I couldn't take anymore. My cousin, a long time die hard Browns fan, completely cut himself off about 5 years ago because he couldn't take it anymore and said it wasn't worth it. I thought he was crazy but now I understand. I can't stand the constant losing. I can't stand the constant pain that results on nearly a weekly basis. I hate knowing that going into every season, all that is going to result is the Bills getting eliminated from realistic playoff contention before they were even late season realistic contenders. After all, it's happened now NINE straight years.

The season is over. I actually found myself at one point during tonights game hoping the Bills would get throttled with the sad and pathetic ray of hope of the coach getting fired. I think that came over me when the Bills actually wasted a time out on defense in the 3rd quarter when the Browns had 3rd and 10. I mean, I can see how that can be a confusing play for the defense...third and 10...obvious passing situation, must be tough to get the correct personnel on the field. Or maybe that feeling came over me when the Bills were losing 16-10 and had 4th and 1 from the 11 and kicked a field goal. They were at the 11 yard line...down by 6...4th and 1...your running back averaged over 5 yards per carry on the evening...makes sense to kick it there. OR maybe it came over me when Jauron was perfectly satisfied with a 45 plus yard field goal into the wind. Who wouldn't be? Cleveland's kicker just pured a 56 yarder...our kicker has to be able to make a 47 yarder into the wind. Nah, we don't need to get closer and try and get a first down. If we just run it three times and kick it here we A) leave ourselves a longer kick and B) leave the Browns with time left to try and get themselves in field goal range. This makes perfect sense. Or maybe it was on our first play of the game when we lined up in the shot gun against one of the worst run defenses in the league. I said to my dad "Nothing good can come from this." Edwards threw INT number 1 of 3 as he validated so many teams passing on him in last years draft. I could go on and on about the coach...everyone knows my feelings.

The quarterback has degressed faster than anyone I have ever seen. How bad was he tonight? On the post game show, it was being said that he had wide receivers wide open and didn't even look. He was shell shocked. He was scared. He was nervous. Marshawn Lynch had 10 catches since all Trent would do is check it down. This same Browns passing defense allowed over 400 yards passing to Cutler. Edwards threw for less than 200 easily. Lee Evans didn't touch the football. Not once. Zero times. Your best and highest paid skill position player touched the football zero times. ZERO TIMEs. Let me say this one more time...LEE EVANS TOUCHED THE FOOTBALL ZERO TIMES. HE IS MAKING 9.25 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR and HE TOUCHED THE BALL ZERO TIMES. RUN A GOD DAMN REVERSE. RUN A WIDE RECEIVER SCREEN. DO SOMETHING TO GET HIM THE BALL. Trent Edwards looked embarrassingly bad. You can make the case that for the 2nd time in 3 weeks he single handedly lost us a football game. Single handedly. Say what you will about Losman, but this game today was so much worse than I have ever in my life seen JP play. If Jauron put JP in, then I would have loved it today. That is how bad he was. He was just awful. Who is to blame for your quarterback getting worse and worse every single week? Well you can blame him for lack of mental toughness. I blame the coach.

The defense sucks. They allowed a 70 plus yard touchdown run to a dude I never heard of. Brady Quinn had zero turnovers. They missed two interception that they should have made. Reggie Corner whiffed on a sack on the Browns last drive worse than I have ever seen anyone whiff on a sack. Enough said about them...they suck.

I realize the Bills represent everything that is pathetic about a franchise. They have a senile owner. They have people running the show that don't know anything about football (Russ Brandon and John Guy). They have a head coach that is lost on gameday to say the least. They have no toughness. They haven't had a big hit since Takeo Spikes laid out a Jaguar receiver at the beginning of their game winning touchdown drive in the '04 opener. We are young and getting worse not better. The worst part about it is, nothing is going to change in the near future. We are still going to ignore the need for a pass rushing defensive end. We are going to ignore the need for a competant tight end. We are going to keep our pussy head coach. Our owner is not going to sell the team to an owner who cares about winning. We aren't going to bring in a guy whose reputation alone can help turn the franchise around (Bill Cowher). Wherever Bill Cowher goes, that team will be a contender every year, because Bill Cowher teams always have winning records.

People make think I am full of shit, but in my current state of mind right now I really want to never watch another Bills game again. I want to cut myself off from being a Bills fan 100 percent. My life would be happier and less stressful. I wouldn't lose much except tailgating but I guess I can still do that and not go to the game and not care. I would save money. I would save time. I would save years off my life. I would save having to waste days off from work. I would save so many things and enjoy life so much more. I have been pissed for a month straight except for the 3 hours on Sunday during the Bills game when I am hoping that they can somehow win and turn their season around and then once they lose I am just more pissed again. It's a never ending cycle. I hate Dick Jauron. He has ruined my life.

7 comments:

  1. I have literally been pissed off and depressed for a month, that isn't a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sullivan says it best

    http://www.buffalonews.com/453/story/496936.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about this big hit: first game of 2006 when Takeo jacked up Brady on the Pats' first series, forcing a fumble that Fletcher returned for a touchdown. I remember it was absolute pandemonium in AJ and Vollo's apt. The Bills choked shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you forgot about the Whitner hit on Ocho-Conco. Nevertheless, the Bills choked the season away and I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone who says they "resign" as a fan...was never one to begin with. God forbid you ride out the adversity and tough times. Here's to throwing in the waving white towel before it even gets dirty! This blog is softer than Trent Edward's skull.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Throwing in the toil before it even gets dirty? Have you paid any attention to the NFL over the past 8.5 seasons? Actually, have you paid any attention to the NFL ever? The towel is caked it dirt pal.

    ReplyDelete